Have a question about your background check?
Why is my background check taking so long?
Most background checks take 3 to 7 business days to complete, but some may take longer. Every background check is as unique as the individual applying, so the completion time varies with each report.
Checkr ETA, which is available in the Candidate Portal, provides an estimate of when your report should be complete. Actual delivery time is not guaranteed.
Three common reasons your background check may be taking longer to complete include:
- We are waiting for a piece of information from you. If this is the case, you should have received a communication from us.
- The county court(s) being searched is/are taking longer than usual to return data. It's possible, for example, that there is a record request backlog in one of the counties or courts being searched. For more information on the county search process, please see County Criminal Record Search in the Checkr Help Center.
- Your background check includes a screening, like employment or education verification, that depends on verifying information with third parties.
If Checkr has not requested additional information from you,then you're likely in the final stage of the background check.
Once your report is complete, you can download a copy by logging into the Candidate Portal.
Having trouble logging into the Candidate Portal? Click here.
What's included in a background check report?
A standard background check report from Checkr contains a number of different screenings, which are selected by the company ordering your report.
Different customers select different screenings to be included on background check reports. Ride sharing companies, for example, may order a motor vehicle record screening in addition to criminal records screenings. Additionally, each company has different requirements which means each company may have different screenings.
The information included on your background check report comes from public records.
How do I submit a document to Checkr?
You can submit a document to Checkr in one of the following ways:
Submit information through email. If we requested additional information from you, we will send you a link in an email to upload documents. Search your email inbox and spam folder for the keyword Checkr. The upload link will look like the image below. It works best in the Chrome, Safari, or Firefox browsers. Please make sure the photo you upload is as clear as possible!
- Submit information by submitting a request ticket. If you cannot access the Candidate Portal or submit information through the link we sent you, please submit a request ticket here with the description and attachment.
Why is my report suspended?
Usually a report will be suspended because Checkr, or the company you applied to, has requested information or documentation from you to proceed, and has not yet received it. The best way to see if Checkr needs any information or documentation from you would be to log into the Candidate Portal. If there is an outstanding request for information or documentation there will be an upload link in the Candidate Portal for you to use. Please note that some companies may require you to upload documentation directly with them in which case you will want to reach out to the company you applied to.
Why is my background check still pending?
Some of the more common reasons your background check may still be pending include:
- Checkr is waiting on information or documentation from you to continue with your report. Please check your email inbox and spam/junk file for any messages from Checkr requesting information or documentation.
- Checkr is waiting for information to be returned from county courts. A surprising number of courts in the US do not keep electronic records, and still maintain paper records. Obtaining these records can add time to the process because it requires specially trained researchers to go to the county courthouse and physically pull records.
- Court backlogs. Due to staff shortages and the demand for records, a lot of courts are suffering from record request backlogs.
- Courts in California and Massachusetts in particular are known for being slower than the norm.
- If your report includes a special screening, such as education or employment, that may cause your report to take longer to complete.
Most background checks take between 3-7 business days to complete, depending mostly on the locations where records may be searched. If your background check is taking longer than that, please check your emails or log into the Candidate Portal to see if there's any information or documentation required from you to move it along.
My background report is complete. What happens next?
Once your background check report is complete, the company that ordered your report will be notified and will review your report.
Please remember: Checkr is a consumer reporting agency. We provide background check reports for companies that request them. We do not review reports, make employment or engagement decisions, or determine company requirements regarding employment or engagement. The company you applied with will make its own determination based on its own requirements and review of your report.
Once your report is complete, please reach out to the company you applied with for updates. Our support team is not informed about hiring timelines and will not know how long the company you applied with will take to get back to you.